Part of maturing in the new nature is accessing new ways of thinking. The Word of God becomes the road map to proper thinking and therefore opens the gateways to kingdom living. Once you think differently, you live differently. Renewing the mind is not a single-step process but a journey of continual change, growth and renewal.
Here is a list of 10 types of damaged souls, their symptoms and Scripture passages to renew your mind and put you on the path toward proper thinking.
- Conflicted soul: Unable to make rational decisions, tossed to and fro, highly unstable and overly emotional"A sound mind makes for a robust body, but runaway emotions corrode the bones" (Prov. 14:30, MSG).
- Tormented soul: High levels of accusation, fear of punishment, dread over past mistakes, a heavy lack of peace
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will protect your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:7).
- Fearful soul: Fearful and anxious on a regular basis, unable to do certain activities because of abnormal levels of fear
"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. Whoever fears is not perfect in love" (1 John 4:18).
- Anxious soul: Nervous and easily panicked, a void of peace and rest, anxiety attacks and bouts with a racing heart and/or heavy breathing
- Rejected soul: Easily offended and continually needing unnatural levels of affirmation
"All whom the Father gives Me will come to Me, and he who comes to Me I will never cast out" (John 6:37).
- Weary soul: Tired and frustrated, a lack of flow in the Spirit, feeling frustrated and assuming that kingdom works will not produce promised harvest
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me. For I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matt. 11:28-29).
- Offended soul: Holding grudges and refusing to let go of past wrongs; this type of emotional wound is yoked to a spirit of bitterness and infirmity that can manifest in various crippling illnesses
"Pursue peace with all men, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord, watching diligently so that no one falls short of the grace of God, lest any root of bitterness spring up to cause trouble, and many become defiled by it" (Heb. 12:14-15).
- Lost soul—Vagabond mentality, refusing to be established in the Word of God and the will of God
9.Wounded soul: Enduring hurts and long-term wounds; this creates a toxic mental environment
that sees everything in a negative light
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake" (Ps. 23:1-3).
"The Lord ... gathers together the outcasts of Israel. He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds" (Ps. 147:2-3).
- Confused soul: Vacillating between ideas, unsure of identity, lacking clarity; not resolute and firm in thought, decision or direction